Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Revenge ADDICT. The only one in my family. However, Season 4? Really? How long will it take for her to destroy the Graysons? Apparently three years wasn’t enough so she needs a fourth. Allow me to list the pros and cons of Revenge below.
1. The episode titles. Maybe it’s just me, but the one word episode titles make me love this show. Fear, Addiction, Impetus (which is a word I haven’t heard anyone say in a while) and Execution (which honestly sent chills down my spine). In fact I may have borrowed some of these titles to use in my book (Secrecy). It’s harmless, really.
2. The acting. One thing no one can deny (I hope) is the acting. Especially with Emily VanCamp and Madeleine Stowe. I wonder why there haven’t been more Emmy noms (No I don’t, not really).
3. Emily. Whether she’s beating the crap out of a hired hand or effortlessly throwing shade with the best of them, Emily Thorne is bad-ass. I especially enjoyed that scene in “Addiction” where she handed Daniel his credit card after he asked her how she managed to pay for everything. Also that scene season 2 where Amanda died really showed her as more than a heartless bitch hell-bent on revenge (she’s come a long way hasn’t she).
4. Victoria. Queen V should have been first on my list (she’d be first on any list). Al I can say is that she has earned her title. With her numerous love affairs, and love children not to mention her ability to transform from a loving mother to a cold hearted manipulator, Vicky (am I allowed to call her that?) is spectacular. Although I do wish she had better luck in the romance department. I never really cared for Pascal.
5. Nolan. (My sister’s a fan.) The tech savvy wingman with razor sharp wit and loads of cash. Again, do wish he had better luck in the romance department; I could tolerate Tyler, I despised Padmi or whatever her name was, and Patrick, don’t get me started on Patrick.
1. The writing. Sometimes, Revenge seems like two different shows not-so seamlessly interwoven. In one scene, Victoria, Emily and the French guy are strutting across the room in their gorgeous outfits. The next, Vic is lying in mental institution while Emily’s standing above her, gloating. All I can say is, get it together.
2. The endless crop of guest characters. Every season has a few half a dozen people we honestly do not care about. Season one had Charlotte’s boyfriend (I don’t remember him either). Season 2 had Emily’s mom, Ashley (I loved her too, but all she did was sleep with Daniel, then Conrad), the Ryan brothers, every one involved in the Initiative, PADMA, the list goes on. Season 3 had Pascal, Margaux, Patrick, Sara, Niko, Javier, etc. I was thrilled when Pascal died but now his irritating daughter’s returning for season 4 AS A MAIN CHARACTER.
3. Daniel. In the past seasons, Daniel was the unsuspecting pawn in Emily, Victoria, Conrad and basically everyone’s schemes. Then season 3 came along and it was like, Daniel’s finally doing something. To bad we didn’t care. Then it was like he was trying to be the “big bad” of season 3, plotting against Emily and Nolan – a role already filled by Victoria. As villains go, I prefer Conrad, Daniel was just trying too hard. Also the fact that he survived season 3 without Emily putting a bullet in his head/chest/groin was a disappointment.
4. Charlotte. Let’s face it, she’s unnecessary to the plot, to the Hamptons, probably even to her parent’s schemes. The only reason she’s still alive is because she’s Emily’s sister. First she’s a wild-child, then she starts dating Declan, still a wild-child, almost dies, simmers down, becomes a Clarke, gets a very irritating friend (Regina, I think her name was), gets pregnant, loses her boyfriend, leaves, loses her baby, comes back, is edgy with straight hair, gets very irritating, starts scheming against Emily. JUST DIE, okay, DIE.
5. David Clarke. Why is he still alive? Why is he a killer? What happened to his hair? Has he been keeping tabs on Emily? Does he still think he loves Victoria? (I wonder what he saw in her…) WHY IS HE STILL ALIVE?????
Pros and cons aside I will be keeping tabs on Season 4. That is, unless Emily’s mom comes back, then I am moving to Game of Thrones.